Sunday, May 9, 2010

happy birthday

A couple weeks ago, I went through all my childhood stuff. Now that I've moved back home and will be here until my mission, I decided I should organize everything so I know where everything is. --I have found a great love for big plastic tubs!--

I have a lot of stuff!

I am so grateful to Mom and Dad for saving all my awful drawings, stories, photos and art projects from my childhood (especially drawings and notes I gave to them!) A couple years ago Mom showed me that they had kept everything. I love her so much! I can hardly wait to share these things with my children!

Mom also gave me a bunch of cards and notes Dad wrote to her during their marriage that I found again. Tears streamed down my face as I read through them. Can I just say how much I LOVE MY DAD! He was such a sweetheart. He never hesitated to let us know how much he loved us.

Dad's birthday was yesterday. He would have been 90!

Dad was usually the discipliner growing up. Ha ha... I only had to be spanked once, and I only had a spoonful of Tabasco sauce once. Only once because I hated that I had disappointed him by saying a naughty word or what not.

Dad was my best buddy. When I was still young and the boys were off to school and Mom at work, it was just us buddies hanging out :) He would take me to meet all his friends. He and I would go for walks down the street. And when I was sad, he would pull me into his lap and rock me in grandma's old rocking chair and hum in my ear. (Although Mom always loves to tell the story of when she came home from work one day and I was crawled up on my bed just crying. She asked what was wrong, and I replied, through sobs, "Mommy! Daddy scared the jabbers out of me!")
I love that guy! As much as I miss him, I know he's so happy now. He doesn't have to live with any pain and he's back with so many people who love him. I can constanty feel his presence. I know he's still looking out for me and I know he loves me and misses me as much as I do him.
I'm sure they threw a big old birthday party for him up there for his big 9-0! Happy Birthday, Daddy!

1 comment:

  1. I loved your dad too! He was probably my favorite uncle growing up. I always got so excited when dad said we were going to see you guys. I hope to be the kind of parent your parents were. We love you guys so much!!!

    ReplyDelete